Are you seeking to gain the legal parent authority of a child in the UK? Then you better be ready to go through a lengthy adoption process that will take months to complete. It is not a simple handing-over process. The system requires the involvement of everyone- the parents, adoptive parents, and the courts –to make sure the best interest of the child is represented. The best way to begin is to reach out to one of the best family law solicitors in the UK for legal assistance.
Child Adoption Overview
- You should be certified by the court to become the legal parent of a child.
- To be adopted a child must be below 18 years and not (or never been) married.
- Both birth parents must consent to the adoption unless they are not found or incapable of giving consent.
- To be eligible to adopt a child:
- You must be 21 years old or over
- Must have a permanent home in the UK, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands.
- And have lived in the UK for a minimum of one year before you applied for adoption.
- Once the adoption is granted the child gets the same rights as your own birth child.
- Parental responsibilities are taken away from the birth parent(s) or anyone else who had been responsible for the child.
How Can Family Law Solicitors in UK Help You?
The adoption process can be rather lengthy. It requires numerous studies and involves police checks, reports, references and requirements of the soon-to-be parents. The family law solicitors at Alfred James & Co Solicitors LLP can assist by informing you what to expect, depending on your circumstance. Whether you are interested in a stepparent adoption, a private adoption, or in some other situation, knowing what lies ahead will help you prepare for the adoption process accordingly, so as to ensure smooth progress.
Our qualified family lawyers will also assist you in filling and submitting the necessary paperwork correctly. Their expertise and involvement in relation to adoption laws in the UK enable them to avoid making any errors. And if you do run into any hitches, our lawyers will always be ready to represent you in the family court.
We can help get you the results that you desire. Call us today.