ABOUT ALFRED JAMES & CO SOLICITORS LLP
Our team has many years of combined experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to Probate and the processes that take place after someone has died.
The legal process that we usually assist with includes proving in court that a deceased person’s will is valid, identifying and inventorying the deceased person’s property, having the property appraised, paying debts and taxes and distributing the remaining property as the will directs.
We have three members of the team who may work on your matter. Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by our Senior Partner.
Please take a look at Our Staff page to see further details about our Team.
WHY CHOOSE US?
Dealing with the property and possessions after someone you love has died is often a difficult and emotional time. Alfred James & Co has a compassionate approach towards our clients, and our team are here to help with sound legal advice and can take care of matters for you.
We are proud to have achieved the Specialist Quality Mark (SQM) accreditation for demonstrating that we are well managed, provide excellent levels of client care and have systems in place to ensure delivery of good quality advice.
Our fees confirmed below is for an Uncontested Probate matter where all the assets are in the UK. This includes both testate and intestate and taxable and non-taxable estates.
Applying for the grant of probate
We anticipate this will take between 6 months to 1 year. We will normally charge a fixed fee estimated at £800 – £1,300 +VAT.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances and complexities of the matter and the number of components of the estate. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
Disbursements included in this fee:
- Probate registry fee of £155.00 for now
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs
- If the services of a Tracing Agent is required, these fees are usually between £100 – £500.
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will this take?
Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes several weeks. Collecting assets then follows. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets.
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor or paralegal to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
Collecting and distributing the assets
We can help you through this difficult process by also undertaking the collecting and distributing of assets, which will include correspondence with all parties and 3rd parties involved.
How much does this service cost?
TOTAL: This is a separate fee that will usually vary between 2% – 3% plus VAT of the net value of the recovered asset.