ABOUT ALFRED JAMES & CO
Our team has many years of combined experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to the Recovery of a Debt and the processes that need to be taken when making a claim.
We have five members of the team who may work on your matter. Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by our Senior Partner.
Please take a look at Our Staff page to see further details about our Team.
WHY CHOOSE US?
We know that chasing for the payment of a Debt can be very complex if completed on your own. Alfred James & Co have many years of experience dealing with these matters. Our team are here to help with sound legal advice and can handle all matters regarding your case for you.
We are proud to have achieved the Specialist Quality Mark (SQM) accreditation for demonstrating that we are well managed, provide excellent levels of client care and have systems in place to ensure delivery of good quality advice.
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or continue on hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
Our pricing is usually on an hourly rate basis, and the hourly rates which you can expect depends on the complexity of your case and the experience of the staff member handling your case:
Senior Partner – £280 + VAT per hour
Solicitor – £250 + VAT per hour
Paralegal – £126 + VAT per hour
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. However you will have to pay these fees
The disbursements you can expect are:
- Court Fees (these vary and often depend on the debt amount being recovered)
- Barristers Fees for attending the hearing or drafting documentation e.g. pleadings if needed (Barristers Fees are paid by hourly rate and these normally vary depending on the experience of the Barrister and amount of time they work on a case. These will be confirmed to you before we instruct the Barrister)
- Expert Fees for any experts required e.g. Surveyor’s Reports
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Settlement negotiations with the other side
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
- When Judgement in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
How long will my matter take?
Matters very often vary, and can usually take approximately 6 months to 2 years from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to take the matter to Court This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.